Thursday, April 16, 2009

KogiBBQ!

Hit up the Kogi truck last friday night in the parking lot of The Brig in Venice and I figured I should write something up... In case you have not yet heard of the awesomeness that is kogibbq, the Kogi truck (there are actually 2, roja and verde) is an LA-style taco truck (I know this one confuses people from other parts of the country, but yes we actually have trucks in LA that serve tacos and don't totally suck/make you sick. Not all of them are good, but some) except that they serve Korean BBQ tacos! This is a mix that I am immediately drawn to in my search for new and exciting flavors. The idea is to take korean bbq meats and marinade them korean style then throw them in a taco, fresh from the truck! In an additional stroke of genius, they have a twitter feed so you always know exactly where the truck is and where it is going.



Anyway, KogiBBQ has been one of the big 'foodie' crazes around here for the past 6 months, so as with any foodie fad you hear both the stories of how it is the most amazing thing ever and of how it is "over hyped and disappointing." I would say that (as with ANY foodie fad) it is overhyped, but that doesn't mean it isn't good! I am here to appreciate food not criticize it :) On that note, I would say that I really really enjoyed these tacos. Don't forget the Sriracha, it definitely added a lot for me!

I had one of each kind of meat taco: chicken, pork, and beef shortrib:


I haven't tried their tofu, or any of their burritos but I have heard good things about them as well. In case you were wondering, KogiBBQ does actually taste excellent when you are 100% sober (unlike some taco trucks that are only 'amazing' when you are drunk).

Kogi has also recently been selling out of a brick and motor which I believe also has an extra rotating experimental item or two, so I plan to check that out soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment